Every year, VerdictSearch releases a list of the largest verdicts and settlements reached by attorneys in the state of Texas. Trevino Law Office is proud to announce that our $7.9 million dollar verdict (attorney fees $1,500,000 / expenses $127,834) in Mendoza v. Farmers Best International LLC and Marco Salinas was included on the 2018 Top Verdicts in Texas list.
An Overview of Mendoza v. Farmers Best International LLC and Marco Salinas
Trevino Law Office represented Mario Trevino Mendoza, a truck driver who was delivering produce to a distribution center in McAllen owned by Farmers Best International. Mendoza was waiting for his truck to be unloaded in an area designated for drivers when Marco Salinas, a supervisor for Farmers Best, backed into Mendoza with his forklift. The forklift ran over Mendoza’s left foot and the force of the collision knocked him to the ground.
Mendoza suffered crush injuries in his left foot that required extensive treatment, including multiple surgeries, physical therapy, and rehabilitation. Despite treatment, the injury left Mendoza in a great deal of pain and unable to walk without the use of a cane.
Mendoza sought legal representation from Trevino Law Office to help him recover compensation for his injuries. Our attorneys sued Salinas for negligently operating a forklift and Farmers Best for negligently allowing Salinas to operate a forklift and failing to provide adequate safety measures.
Both defendants denied liability for Mendoza’s injuries and claimed that the accident could have been avoided if Mendoza had been paying attention to his surroundings.
The jury concluded that both Salinas and Farmers Best were negligent and liable for Mendoza’s injuries, assigning 90% of the blame to Farmers Best and the remaining 10% to Salinas. Jurors awarded Mendoza $7,887,361.31 for his medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
This was one of the largest verdicts in the state of Texas in 2018. The presiding juror said that the size of this verdict was meant to send a message to companies about the importance of workplace safety. By awarding nearly $7.9 million (attorney fees $1,500,000 / expenses $127,834), the juror said he hopes that companies understand that “it’s cheaper to be safe.”
If you have been injured, it’s in your best interest to seek legal representation from the personal injury attorneys at Trevino Law Office. Our attorneys work tirelessly to ensure that each of our clients are fully compensated for their injuries.